Friday, September 7, 2012

Blessings along the way...

August was a crazy busy month for us. It seemed we were hardly ever home, between Segue and weekends away.
A few days after returning home from Segue, we went camping in the St. Catharines area with family friends. It was the first time we had ever camped without electricity and running water. Even without these amenities it was a  much needed relaxing time.

On this campground there was a little "corner" store. Elisa had gone there with her friend from the other family; Curtis. The two of them are very close.  It's kind of cute to watch them actually.
One day Elisa came running back to our campsite all excited about something she had seen at the store that she wanted me to buy for her. I went with her to see what all the fuss was about. There sitting in a basket were these glow in the dark earrings. They were like those glow sticks you can buy at the dollar store that only last a few hours. We used to buy them all the time for the kids when they were younger and we would give them to them before bed around the campfire when we were camping.  These were two inch versions of these, made into earrings. I didn't buy them for her because they would only last a few hours and then the glow would be gone. A pointless  waste of money, I thought...

Fast forward to the following weekend.  We camped at Braeside camp for Holy Spirit weekend.
The same family was there as they were running the children's program at the camp. It wasn't long after we arrived that Curtis showed up at our campsite and he and Elisa went off to play at the near by park.
Curtis mom and I were chatting and she told me that Curtis had bought Elisa a gift but she didn't know if he would give it to her or not.
He did.
He presented it to her in this little wooden box with a heart on top. What was in that box?
You guessed it...the glow in the dark earrings she so desperately wanted!
Elisa told me afterwards that Curtis had spent all his money on them.
Curtis knew how much she wanted them.  His gift was the perfect gift for her and from the heart. It made Elisa so happy as she proudly wore them around the camp that night and basked in the many compliments she received about her glow in the dark earrings.
I admit a part of me felt really bad for not buying them for her. They were not that expensive after all....but oh the joy they brought her.

I was reminded of God's love for us and His desire to give us good gifts.
Matthew 7:11
So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly father give good gifts to those who ask him?

I thought too about how God gave us His all in giving us His only son..a precious, priceless gift....the gift that gives us eternal life if we believe in Him...
John 3:16
For God loved the world so much that He gave us His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will have eternal life.


Finally I want to share about a gift that I received this week.
For a while now I have been mentioning to Dale that the only thing I wanted for Christmas...provided we had the money; was an e reader. It would be awesome to have in Honduras to be able to read in my spare time. It gets dark there around 5:30 or 6pm all year around, and you don't go out once it's dark .so what does one do in the evenings?  I am pretty sure even in libraries English books would be few and far between, and do they even have libraries in Honduras?  I don't know.

At noon the other day when Dale came home at lunch, he had a gift for me from  friends in the church...an e reader! What a kind and generous gift!
I can't tell you what a blessing that is and will be when we are away. I'm so thankful for it...both to the couple who gave it to me and to God who knew.

1 comment:

  1. You will love your e-reader, Carolyn. I have a Kobo and I have downloaded many wonderful books....lots of them for free!

    ReplyDelete