Thursday, June 6, 2013

A life lesson along the way



The other day I had an unexpected chat with one of Ben's friends rumoured to be a "bad" influence. He showed up at the house skateboard in hand wondering if Ben could come out.  At the time we were looking for a home for Taffy. I jokingly asked him if he wanted a cat...maybe talk to his mom about it. That is when he told me his mom died 8 years ago of cancer when he was 6 years old and his older brother walked out on the family. The older brother that he once looked up to, never calls and never comes for a visit. Wow! I felt so bad...Did I ever put my foot in my mouth that time. He sounded so sad when he said it. "it's just me and my dad" he told me, his voice flat.

 I can't imagine so much brokenness at such a young age. It was all I could do not to give that kid a hug.  I probably would have freaked him out though!  Hopefully between now and the time we leave we can reach out to this boy...show him the love of Christ , maybe even have him in for a BBQ. I have to admit I felt so convicted because before I even talked to him I had judged him . I had heard things.  I told Ben not to hang around him... to stay away...before I even actually met him and got to know him as a person. Perhaps he does have some "issues" but who having gone through all that wouldn't? His entire world was turned upside down at 6 years old!  In that moment I didn't see him as the boy I had him labelled as...I saw a young boy with sad eyes and a heart full of pain.
That day God put his finger on some things in my life  that were not pretty; things that were not pleasing to him. In that moment I saw things in myself that I didn't like. I felt ashamed of myself and I vowed to try and change with God`s help.
Who of us doesn't struggle with something? Maybe there are people that we don't like or we think we can`t get along with, people we avoid or have a grievance against.  Let's try and make things right. Life is too short to waste holding grudges.  Let's forgive because in forgiving it is us that become free!
We all have a story; each and every one. The cashier in the grocery store, the single mom trying to make ends meet, the girl pouring your coffee at Tim Hortons, the man who walks down the street talking to himself...Regardless of our story...God's love is huge! He made us in his image. He loves all of us with a love we cannot even fathom. If we would but turn to him and allow him to change us from the inside out..
 

No comments:

Post a Comment