Monday, July 16, 2012

The Healing



Back when I was a small child I suffered from epilepsy.
There were times when I would wake up in the hospital having no recollection of how I got there. Every time the answer was the same. "You had a convulsion"

I don't remember having them but I do recall one time being told that I had been playing at the school playground with some neighbourhood friends. I had a spell and had fallen off the monkey bars.
The school was just a few doors down from our home and one of my friends ran told my mom that I had fallen and wouldn't get up.
Now a days a parent would never send a child that young to play in the park without adult supervision. I guess times were different back then. It didn't seem to be that big of a deal. Maybe because I was with three or four other friends.
Anyway, when I came to, I was in the hospital.

One time it was a Sunday morning, and I distinctly remember asking the Dr. what day it was. When he told me it was Sunday I told him " Well, you had better let me out of here. I have to go to church!"
When I was a little girl, I truly loved Jesus with all my heart. I loved going to church and loved learning about him, and loved the worship part of the service.

Back then our church had an evening service that we always went to. On Sunday night there was a huge snow storm. My church at the time, ( Hiway Pentecostal) in Ingersoll had, had a special speaker there in the morning. Due to the storm he was stranded and unable to make his next speaking engagement. So, our pastor invited him to speak in the evening service.

He spoke on healing and I don't recall any of his message but I do know that with all my heart I sure didn't want to have epilepsy anymore. I heard that Jesus would heal me! I didn't have to have it anymore..I wanted that!
When the speaker called people up to the front that wanted to be healed, you can be sure I went forward. I believed with all my 6 year old little heart that Jesus would make me all better!
I was standing beside a friend at the time and the minister laid hands on both of us at the same time.
His prayer went something like this.."Father we pray for this brother and sister.." He didn't get to finish because I interrupted him and said."He is not my brother" I know now that wasn't what he meant.:-0)
Anyway, I didn't question if I was healed or not. I didn't go home thinking that "I sure hope I was healed!..or maybe He healed me" No, I simply believed with all my heart that He healed me; no doubt whatsoever. I don't think the thought crossed my mind that it might not happen. Oh to have that child like faith today! No seeds of doubt planted in my heart.

The next morning came and my mom had my pills set aside for me to take. I was on dilantin and phenobarb. I told her "I don't need those pills anymore, Jesus healed me!"
My mom was very concerned and still wanted me to take them. Now that I am a mom I totally get that thinking..I might be the same way actually if I were in her shoes. She was afraid of something happening; worried about her little girl having yet another seizure.
My dad has always been rather calm, easy going and relaxed; not so high strung, and he calmed her down. "Just wait and see"
I think he didn't want to destroy the faith that I had at 6 years old.

Still, a phone call was made to my teacher that morning, to explain the situation of me going to school without being medicated. My teacher was a christian though so she would have understood about divine healing. Basically she asked my teacher to keep an eye on me just in case.
Interesting enough, my teachers sister, up until recently attended our church today here in Stratford! ( Mrs Thompson)

Well, from that snowy winters eve on, I never again took another pill for epilepsy and I never again had another seizure! Completely healed!

James 5:16
Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.

Matthew 17:20
"You don't have enough faith" Jesus told them. " I tell you the truth,if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain. Move from here to there, and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.




No comments:

Post a Comment