Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The journey to Honduras

It all began on a cruise for our 15th Wedding Anniversary in 2010.  One of the ports we stopped at was Roatan Honduras. We didn't book any excursions here. There was a beautiful beach we could relax at, but since we were stopped for a few hours  we decided to go on a tour. It didn't take long to find a driver who was willing to show us around. At first we were a little alarmed as the drive knew little if any English. Within a few minutes though he pulled over on the side of the road and picked up a young boy, who couldn't have been more than 12 years old. He spoke fluent English, and would be our guide for the drive.  We wondered why he would not be in school. He told he had this job during the day to help provide for his family; (a mom and sisters) and he went to school in the evening.

Nothing could have prepared me that day for the sites I saw. The tin shacks that people lived in,  little flimsy make shift houses smaller than our shed at home.I remember seeing the dirt floors through open doors, children running around barefoot, playing with garbage, people wandering around with buckets on their heads. So much poverty, people living with so little.
My heart broke for the moms of those children. I knew they wanted more for them, a better life..but where could they escape too? How could they change the future of their children, give them more than the nothing that they had? And the children? Did they have a hope for the future when that is the only life they knew?
I remember standing at a lookout point overlooking the valley below. Its beauty took my breath away. I remember saying to Dale " We have to come back here. I want to do a missions trip to Honduras some day"
 It broke my heart and throughout that tour, I cried. Cried for the needy, the lost, the people living without hope. The people of Honduras.



Meeting the Lundrigan's
One of the highlights of each summer is Braeside camp. This time we were not renting a cottage there. We did drive down for the evening, which just happened to be a missions service. Severel missionaries were there that night, with tables set up outside the church with various goods from the countries they were missionaries in.


One table in particular caught my eye as it held these beautiful hand made purses. If you know me, you know how much I love that sort of thing. When I stopped for a closer look, I saw they were from Honduras! The missionaries were Randy and Judy Lundrigan.


I don't remember if I introduced myself or not but I did mention how I had wanted to go there for so long! I took my seat in the sanctuary so excited to have some sort of connection to the land that was still on my heart. I told Dale who I had met and that I still wanted to do some sort of missions trip there and he said it was possible. Hope sprang a new at the thought that it could actually come to pass.


A short while later I looked them up on facebook and sent a message to Judy about a possible missions trip for our church. Then through severel emails back and forth between her and my husband a plan was made.





Proverbs 3:6
Seek His will in all you do and He will show you the path to take.






.


1 comment:

  1. God planted the people of Honduras in your heart that day. Love when He does stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete