Friday, July 26, 2013

House Hunting

It's a warm 27 degrees as I write this morning. I just returned from a walk around the neighbourhood, and although it is hot, there is always a gentle breeze blowing. One thing I love about Honduras is the weather.

We have only been here a week today and yet it seems as though we have been here much longer.
All this week we have been house hunting. We have looked at nine homes. The first place was rather scary. It was in a secure area, but for whatever reason it didn't feel all that safe. I think it could be the house that made me feel that way. Dark, dingy, and dirty. Mouse dirt all over the floor, the bat that flew out of one of the rooms side swiping Dale in the head, and the dead bird on the balcony were just of the few things it had going against it.

I never thought I would want to live in an apartment. However when we saw the second place we were sold. We were ready to sign a contract and move in. It was in a safe area, had enough space for our family ( though not for guests) and had an amazing view. It was almost at the top of our budget though; not a lot of wiggle room budget wise. Plus the boys would have had to share a room. That would not be good. Jake could have had the maids quarters but it was not even attached to the apartment. It was down a flight of stairs and just outside the gate in the parking garage. I wasn't comfortable with that as a mom and would not have been able to sleep at night wondering if he was ok. Maybe in Canada he would be fine but this is Honduras.

We were cautioned  to take our time, not to rush or take the first thing we see.  We were told to look around and see what we could rent for what our budget would allow. "Don't be in a hurry"
I knew that in my head, but also was anxious to get settled into our own place; to start setting up house for my family. It has always been my prayer from the beginning of this journey that we find something so the kids can get settled in the home before they start school August 26th, rather than have to change their bus route, change the address again for the school after they have begun attending.

We saw a few homes that were far out our reach; couple hundred over budget that I am not sure why we were shown them; except that maybe we could potentially get it for less, or just over budget.  Thing was we didn't want to go over our budget no matter how nice the house was. One thing we wanted was a view, but generally in most of the homes we looked at you look out a window and you are looking at a wall not scenery.

Fast forward seven houses and we have settled on a beautiful home in a gated area. The rent is a hundred and fifty LESS than the apartment we had first wanted and far more space. If company were to visit from Canada we will have the space to accommodate them.  Like all homes here in Honduras it has a maids quarters.  This one; a small building of its own is just outside the side door not far from the laundry area. There is a room enough for a bed and desk and has its own three piece bath. This will be Jake's "man cave" He is looking forward to having his own space.  Also since there are only three houses in this area, and the house is on a hill, there is room for Ben to skateboard there without the fear of being hit by a car or being kidnapped. The street is not rough or cobble stone like everywhere else. For Ben that has been a priority. He would look around a potential  house and say "but where can I skateboard?" I so wanted that for him. For all my kids really, that they could be kids, not locked up in prison so to speak.

I will be honest; at first I didn't think this was the house for us. Don't misunderstand me. I really loved it. It is very cheery, nice and bright, spacious. A dream home with an incredible view of the mountains and of the city.  It has a bath tub in the en suite. Bathtubs are rare in Honduras, and something I didn't even think to put on my wish list because I didn't think we'd ever have one in Honduras.  God knows our hearts desires though even if we don't voice them out loud. He gives us good gifts...even bath tubs!
The house is surrounded by barbed wire topped walls with a thirty foot drop below so no outsider can get in. The reason I didn't want it is this:  Its location.  I would not be able to walk outside the gate. Dale wouldn't be able to run; the two very things that keep us fit.  If I wanted to walk I would have to walk in circles up and down the street of only three houses and back again; over and over.  That would drive me nuts and for sure the neighbours too. Those who know me know I love to walk and outside that gate just wouldn't be possible. I knew Dale loved the house and was sure it was the one. I kind of had my heart set on another one we had seen that was smaller and in a gated area. At least there I would be free to walk. However the location was far from where we will be working and the traffic horrendous. Not only that but it was the top of our budget.

That night I hardly slept; spending most of the night praying about it. As the hours ticked by I felt my heart begin to change and it was clear to me that yes this was the house God had for us.  I felt it clear as as day. I could totally picture my family there, watching tv, myself cooking at the stove and looking out the window at that incredible view and all of us going about our daily activities.  A solution came to my mind or perhaps God whispered it to me. We have an allowance for furniture so we could buy a treadmill that I could walk on and Dale could run.  The rent  was well under budget so that freed up a little cash for something extra like that.  We could situate it right by the window with the view.  I could hardly wait for Dale to wake up so I could tell him.
Not only that but there is an Olympic size track that we visited one afternoon and saw at least a hundred people walking/running on it. So, once in awhile we could walk or run there. Walking wasn't going to be an impossibility after all.

Just this afternoon we decided to make an offer without appliances for a ridiculously low amount for the house...two hundred less than our budgeted amount just to see if they would take it. The realtor said "no way will they go for that " but she said she would ask. This is where we see God's hand at work because the offer was accepted! We can totally see God's hand at work in the renting of this house. It is such a blessing and far better than I ever imagined in my wildest dreams. We just put a deposit on it today and are hoping to move in by next weekend. The timing of it is perfect because we should be moved in just in time for Jake's 15th birthday. Also in time for them to start their new school while settled in their new home. We are looking forward to this next step of our Journey IN Honduras.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment