Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Food prep and cake decorating in Honduras

 This post is going to be a little different than what I usually write but
 I thought I would share it anyway for anyone who might find it interesting to know the way things are done here at least if you are a foreigner when it comes to preparation of produce.

Before you cook your veggies and fruit here in Honduras, you need to be sure to clean them properly to ensure that you do not get sick.
 What I have been doing after purchasing my groceries is washing them all at once so that they are done for a few days. I have to admit I do not enjoy this process as it is very time consuming especially if you have purchased a large amount of produce. It also uses a ton of bottled water. The other day I used an entire 5 gallon bottle.
Below is the way I have been trained by Judy  in the cleaning of fruits and veggies.

Cleaning fruits and vegetables

Vegetables and fruits with hard skins

The first thing you have to do is examine your fruits and vegetables for cracks. If you find any, do not use this procedure; use the procedure for leafy vegetables below

Vegetables and fruits with hard skins such as peppers, tomatoes. Zucchini, carrots. Lemons. Oranges, apples etc….. can all be washed in HOT soapy tap water

Do NOT soak them in soapy water.

Wash them quickly and rinse thoroughly in hot tap water.

Place them in a bowl big enough to allow PURIFIED water to cover them.

Let them soak in a solution of 5 drops of microdine to 1 gallon of water for 20 mins.

If the tops or sides of the vegetables or fruits are not under water, rotate them after the 20 mins and soak for another 20 minutes

Rinse well in Purified water (after the 20 minute solution soak)

Place in to a clean bowl with some paper towel in the bottom to drain the remaining water.

You can remove the paper towel after completely drained

Eat and Enjoy!

 

Leafy vegetables

The first thing you have to do is examine your fruits and vegetables for debris or bugs. If you find any, either throw it out or if it’s not a lot you have an option to use it after cleaning.

YOU WOULD DO THIS SAME PROCEDURE back in Canada but here you just have to be a little more careful.

 

Vegetables and fruits that are leafy or porous such as lettuce, basil, cilantro, parsley, strawberries... can NOT be washed in HOT soapy tap water.

They must be cleaned individually (one leaf at a time, one strawberry at a time) in PURIFIED WATER.

Rinse and clean until you know it looks good such as no more debris or brown colored water.

Wash them quickly and rinse thoroughly in PURIFIED water.

Place them in a bowl big enough to allow PURIFIED water to cover them.

Let them soak in a solution of 5 drops of microdine to 1 gallon of water for 20 mins.

If the tops or sides of the vegetables or fruits are not under water, rotate them after the 20 mins and soak for another 20 minutes

Rinse well in Purified water (after the 20 minute solution soak)

Place in to a clean bowl with some paper towel in the bottom to drain the remaining water.

You can remove the paper towel after completely drained

CAUTION!!!! Do not over soak things like strawberries/ blackberries as they will become very SOOGY.Soak time for these I usually reduce to 15 mins and always make sure they are under water.

A small plate helps keep them down under.

Eat and Enjoy!

 

Onions/ garlic/ Potatoes

Anything that has peeling skins on that you are going to cook or fry can be washed in hot soapy water if you wish. (Onions/ garlic)

“Or”

Vegies with skins that peel can be carefully peeled and cut without washing. (Onions / garlic)

It’s your choice


I always wash my potatoes in tap water only as I am going to cook them.


Cook all vegetables in purified water


When you are in doubt do the wash. J

Food preparation/ July 2013/ J. Lundrigan
Now for Cake Decorating



 


Since we have moved here I have made two cakes. The first one I noticed nothing unusual as it was a mix and the icing was canned. By the way it was a flavour I had never seen in Canada....Key lime cake mix and key lime frosting. The frosting was AMAZING! I could have eaten it right out of the can.

 Jake had his 15th birthday the other day and as usual I wanted to make him whatever cake he wanted. It's been the tradition since the kids came to live with us over ten years ago.
  I baked the cake and adjusted the temperature accordingly because we are living in a higher altitude. I made my fail proof buttercream icing. Normally I have to add a little extra liquid or more vanilla to this recipe to whatever consistency I need at the time. However once the icing was made; I noticed it was not the same consistency at all. I ended up having to add more icing sugar and more flour because it was not thick enough.
Icing sugar here in Honduras is not the same texture as it is in Canada or the States. It is almost granulated and the finished result although  delicious, was quite gritty...not smooth the way one would think buttercream should be. Welcome to Honduras!
Next time I need to remember to add a lot less liquid and try and tweak the recipe to perfection. I will be sure to have fun trying anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment